View Poll Results: What form of blood sacrifice would you do?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacrifice an animal, and offer it's lifeblood

18 5.04%
  • offer soem of your own lifeblood

252 70.59%
  • Sacrifice another Human being

6 1.68%
  • Decline, and possibly suffer the wrath of your God

81 22.69%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood sacrifice

I wouldn't

None of the above.
    And truely in any situation, in my humble opinion, I have no right to "sacrifice" anything but what I truely own. I cannot take from another. I do not have the right.

Life is a terminal sexually transmitted condition. There is no known cure & we are unable to determine how long you will have to live.
    LDMS

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Monk ~
    Just out of curiousity, for those this applies to - if your God/dess deemed it necessary to sacrifice a human, would you do it?
    depends on the human in question.

no, i'm kidding. i'm not sure, really. somehow i don't think they would ask me to do that.
    Last edited by mothwench; February 1st, 2005 at 06:59 AM.

Just out of curiousity, for those this applies to - if your God/dess deemed it necessary to sacrifice a human, would you do it?
    Hell no.

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Morgandria, yes I did.

Monk. No I wouldn't. As I already said before, if I were to sacrifice an animal a portion of it would be used to sustain myself, my family, and my community. Only the blood itself and the choice portions of the animal are left entirely for the gods. The rest of it is used, and not wasted. You seem to have this idea in your head that sacrificing an animal automatically means it's wasted, which as I've stated several times it is not. Most of the meat would be eaten, the skins would be used, as would the antlers, hooves and bones. Furthermore, if I were to kill an animal it would have to be because in doing so it was an actual sacrifice to me. That means I would be giving up something, not just killing a random animal. For example, if I lived on a dairy farm, an appropriate sacrifice would be a dairy cow, because by doing so I would be giving up the milk gained from that cow.

Human remains can't be put to use in this fashion and thus I would be unwilling to do so, because I am not going to kill something I'm not going to be able to use in some way for the good of my community. And yes, before you ask, I do put humans above animals. Just like everyone who refuses to eat meat or goes on and on about how perfect, wonderful animals are and how wrong it is to kill them puts them above plant life when they are eating those plants.

I'm personally don't see how killing an animal is any different then killing a plant. Scientists have done all sorts of tests that show that plants are aware and that they are capable of feeling pain. So exactly how is killing a plant (whether for food or a sacrifice) any different? It just irritates me because people seem to get so high on their horse about being better than those of who would give an animal sacrifice, because they "respect the sanctity of life." Except that every time you eat a plant or pull a weed out of the ground you are killing a life. Just because it can't move or feel pain in a way that you recognize, doesn't mean that it can't or doesn't. A life is a life, whether it moves and makes noises or not.

So please, stop trying to find ways to subtly belittle me or point out that I'm wrong or bad or whatever your reason for all of the questions. I've already answered all of your questions about it, and have in fact had to repeat myself several times. If you disagree with me fine, but don't question my motives. It's not a decision that I would EVER make lightly. If my gods are asking for it, there is a reason, a good reason. The gods have the ability and see comprehend things that we humans can never even begin to imagine. They are going to have a hell of a lot better idea of what is necessary than I am. Part of loving and worshipping my gods is trusting them. And I trust them to not ask me to do something so extreme without a very good reason. I also trust that they will let me know what that reason is should the situation ever arise.

When I think of blood offering, I'm not sure my concept is the same as everyone elses.

I think of a sweat and blood offering. Laboring to do something in the divine's service.
    I may get injured in that service, or something of the sort. But it is indeed known that it was given willingly, and not some sort of afterthought.
    In Service to the Lord and Lady,
    Tensen
    http://www.darkquest.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    I'd have to decline. But then again, I don't think my God will ever ask for a blood sacrifice. All he (just a pronoun, I believe God is genderless or is of both genders) only demands that I love him and my neighbors (everyone) as myself.
    hmmm, so given you hated yourself and wanted to kill yourself (loving as myself) does this make you kill and hate others too, with gods ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Dio
    I wanted to point out, on the concept of blood sacrifice. I noticed that a lot of folks said that they would be okay with it as long as they could put the remains to good use for themselves...I guess so they don't feel as though they were waisting something.
    It is a nice thought, but I don't personally agree with this.

I believe that when you offer something in sacrifice to any spirit, be it God/dess, Fae, ancestral, the essence of your offering is completely taken and used by the spirit, hence making said offering useless to you. There would literally be nothing of nutritional value left of it.
    It depends on what is meant by 'sacrifice'. This is a quote from Ceiswer Serith's grove site. All too often this idea of 'sacrifice' these days is influenced by the Christian concept of same. Here's another view...

"Furthermore, Romans generally believed that gods and spirits were omnipresent and responsible for all natural phenomena; therefore, they must be propitiated in order for the home and community to thrive. Do ut des was the most common form of prayer, meaning "I give so that you may give." The whole idea was to bargain with the gods and contribute to their power by adding to it with sacrifices. The gods are more powerful than humans and their power can be increased when humans offer them gifts. Many Roman prayers which are accompanied by offerings contain some form of the phrase macte esto ("Be thou increased"). The verb macto, mactare is linguistically derived from the same root as the word magnus ("great"). Thus, macte esto literally is an imperative suggesting that the deity being addressed be increased or enlarged by that which has been offered to it. In a sense, Romans may have believed that the gods needed humans to sustain and increase their power."

Even when humans were sacrificed the idea was that human life and human blood was the most precious thing that could be offered to the gods. It was not a disregard for human life, quite the opposite.

I happen to look at what is being called "blood sacrifice" in this thread as a sharing of what one has with one's dieties. Hospitality, sharing of food in particular, was held to be a virtue in many ancient cultures. Such a sacrifice, in those terms, is a "sharing" of the bounty with the gods, honoring them and offering one's hospitality to them in the same way. I saw it referred to on another message board as inviting the dieties to come on in and join the party. In my opinion that's probably closer to how ancient peoples saw it than how many of us see it today.

I do find it interesting to see how heavily ideas of contemporary society have begun to influence attitudes toward such a basic thing as sacrifice to the dieties, even among those who eat meat.

Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Pandoras
    I can understand why the ancients did it, but I don't believe animal sacrifice is necessary in this day and age. I don't think that something as grand as the Divine requires something as small and mundane as blood.

If my deities asked it of me, I would seriously reconsider these deities.
    Why not? Perhaps it's even more important these days, when so many of us are connected only at a distance to the natural world as a reminder of that nature.

Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Galadraal
    Well, perhaps I should ask it in a more gentler way...what if it was a culturally accepted part of a ritual to sacrifice to a God...would you do it?
    If it were a culturally accepted part of a ritual to sacrifice to a God why would anyone be questioning it?

Maggie

No. And that refusal comes not from disrespect, lack of understanding or anything. It comes from the fact that I am a product of my times and my culture. Same goes for animal sacrifice. Could I personally actually kill the animal? Probably not, I don't like killing. But I recognize that's me. I don't object to the idea, I support it.

Maggie

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast