View Poll Results: What form of blood sacrifice would you do?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacrifice an animal, and offer it's lifeblood

18 5.04%
  • offer soem of your own lifeblood

252 70.59%
  • Sacrifice another Human being

6 1.68%
  • Decline, and possibly suffer the wrath of your God

81 22.69%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood sacrifice

I would offer my own blood or no blood at all

This is my dragon Titania made by instinct

MySpace
    CovenSpace
    Facebook
    PaganSpace.com
    PaganSpace.net

I had always been taught that we do not worship the Gods because of their need to be worshiped, but because of our need to worship...so ultimately, sacrifice is never required, and becomes a matter of preference & culture.

Having said that, for many of our ancestors, animal sacrifice = barbeque. At the opening of the ancient Olympics, steers were sacrifices to Zeus. The blood was spilled on the ground and the heads, hooves & tails were burnt...the rest was used for a feast. Barbeque!

I believe that if a group was having a large festival, that could support an entire pig or steer or whatever...it would be appropriate...as long as the sacrifice was in conjunction with a feast. For small events, through a couple of burgers in the fire...why not?

Mind-N-Magick.com

• Email - Need a new E-mail address?
    • Chat - Speak to Current Chatters
    • Personals - Discover Wiccan & Pagan singles near you.
    • Pagan PenPals - Find Pagan PenPals from around the world.
    • Pagan Forum - Post your opinions!
    • Pagan Glossary - Find useful words, phrases and definitions
    • Shop - Largest selection of Pagan books & thousands of other items.

Author of The Gods of Reason, A Beginner's Guide to Hellenismos, and Hellenismos Today

Hellenismos.us: The Hellenic Polytheist Website

One does not need to water-down their own beliefs to appreciate the beliefs of others.

I give my blood to the earth every month

Out of curiosity, how do Recons feel about this? It was rather imporant in many ancient pagan religions. Animal sacrifice has turned up in almost all cultures, from the Hebrews to the Greeks and Romans and from the Aztecs to the Yoruba. Additionally, human sacrifice was practiced by various Pre-Columbian civilizations of Mesoamerica and the practice is also found in the old Scandinavian religion as well as Pre-Hellenic Minoan cultures. I know no one is doing it today (hopefully, anyway), but would you, if you could?

Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?
    I had enough trouble trying to kill a chicken for chicken and dumplins. The only reason I did that was cause my granny made me. I try to have respect for all life. I'm way too empathetic to go around killing animals. I suppose that if I absolutely HAD to have an animal sacrifice,I'd have someone else kill it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have no problem with animal sacrifice. We usually have a few a year.

I obviously have no problem with someone sacrificing their own blood.

Human sacrifices should be willing.

Correct Me if I'm wrong please by all means. However since Wiccans follow the eight words "Do as ye will and harm ye none" a true wiccan will never ever use a blood sacrfice. The only purpose of the athame is to direct energy which is why they don't have to be sharp.

I offer my own blood in all rituals I do, and use my blood in sanctification all the time. Animal blood, however, I would not use. It goes against my own nature to harm innocents, and animals are the only true innocents.

Other humans... no. Unless I'm working with a group and another person is the one to offer their blood... I wouldn't ask that from someone else without a damned good reason.
    Last edited by Felis Sorror; March 5th, 2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

Correct Me if I'm wrong please by all means. However since Wiccans follow the eight words "Do as ye will and harm ye none" a true wiccan will never ever use a blood sacrfice.
    That's been my experience. Any Wiccans who object to such a characterization?

is offline Ní Thógtar Caisléan i lá amháin
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

It means exactly what it says ... "harm none" ... including yourself. Blood sacrifice is anathema to Wicca. IMHO, any who use blood sacrifice follows a different road/Path than Wicca.

Oh, and yes, the athame is purely ritual, and not even necessary, to a Wiccan. A wand or finger can direct energy in just the same manner as an athame.

P.S. I didn't vote as my option wasn't there ... I decline yet suffer no Godly wrath

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast