Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Witchcraft

Originally posted by Da Witch
    Wouldn't that pollute the tradition, making it Traditional Witchcraft no longer? I ask this not to gode anyone into some long-winded debate about Traditional vs. Eclectic vs. whatever. Just curious.
    Well, we're not Traditional Witches in my Tradition, but we are Traditionalists. However, we have strong rules about "borrowing" things, changing things and removing things, etc and so forth. In order to keep the teachings pure and exact, these things just aren't done. Period. If they are done, then it's called that the person making the changes for whatever reason, break off from their group and start a new branch or tradition of their own.
    "This is Harlan ... you never know who or what could be reaching back."

Hey, I'm new to the forum (new to forums in general)

I like you place.

Just wanted to share me 2 cents.

I think that any "path" if followed with open eyes will take you to the same place. It's just the one's who get bogged down in what they are *not* and what other people *are* that make this less than obvous.

"Words dissolve in the presence of power"

; )

Hello & welcome, INUKSHUK. (Thanks for reviving this ancient thread.)
    ----------
    This is a very strange article. I think this may be the source.

The disclaimer reads: "First of all I should say this. Traditional Witchcraft is NOT Wicca..." But the article has Wicca written all over it:

• It blurs the distinction between witchcraft and religion in the first sentence "Traditional Witchcraft pre-dates all of the other religions of the planet..." This reminds me of Gerina Dunwich's History of Witchcraft where she began with the words "Witchcraft is the Old Religion."
    • "phases of the Moon"
    • "the yearly cycle of seasons"
    • "Esbats" and "Sabbats"
    • "nature is sacred"
    • "The Pentagram"
    • 5 elements
    • reincarnation
    • "the male and female spiritual and sexual polarities of nature"
    • A seperate section dedicated to attitudes toward sex.
    • Personification of Christianity as a being with motives.
    • The article also uses the same vocabulary used by many Wiccan authors. The phrase "went underground" sticks out like a sore thumb.

What was most confusing was the line:
    Traditional Witches follow a folk magic system rather than the High Magic system that Wicca employs.
    But earlier it stated:
    Thus, the spirits who are contacted during ritual are already there but may be conjured or evoked to facilitate communication.
    The conjuration and evocation of spirits is a sure sign of High Magic.

I'm fascinated with this article. It attempts to make distinctions with Wicca. But it was obviously written by one, and shows a certain level of dissatisfaction.
    I wish I knew exactly when it was written. Very interesting.

ECCE, PARAT CΖSAR DOMITO QVOD DEFVIT ORBI
    ADDERE: NVNC, ORIENS VLTIME, NOSTER ERIS.
    PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

SVR | FORVM ROMANVM | CCEL | VNRV
    LINGVA LATINA | BIBLIOTECA LATINA | LATINA VVLGARA
    Il Sussurro Delle Streghe | Benedicaria |Rue's Kitchen | Stregoneria Italiana

A good place to learn about Traditional Witchcraft is www.shadowdrake.com

A great book about it is "Call of the HOrned Piper" by Nigel Jackson

There's my 2 cents...

I believe that was a very good and interesting article, especially telling people about witches whch don't adhere to the three-fold-law. I get a lot of witch-bashing when wiccans find out I think its a load of codswollop
    Dont get me wrong, I believe there are concequences, but...!

The information on the Pentagram does concern me though, as the element of 'Spirit' is a NewAge belief - not something Witches were concerned with at all before Gardner/Crowley etc etc.

I think some people earlier were bashing other people's ideas and religeon, which isn't good

Pagan VS Pagan

I would like to know how the other communities are suppose to take us seriously when we are constantly bickering among ourselves. Since there is no "Book" persay then everything I read is open to interpretation. What I have found is that there is not one source that hasn't been attacked. Let's face it over the course of a few millinium can we not see that nothing is as it used to be in any faith or practice? As close as we get to the "original" practice I don't believe that any one person can definately say, "This is EXACTLY how it was!"

That's just my opinion and I'm sure that someone will want to attack me for it but it's what I believe and that's not going to change.
    If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

From where did you find all this??

Quote Originally Posted by KaliGiri5
    From where did you find all this??
    you probably aren't going to get an answer on that, considering that the original post is three years old.

Quote Originally Posted by mucgwyrt
    The information on the Pentagram does concern me though, as the element of 'Spirit' is a NewAge belief - not something Witches were concerned with at all before Gardner/Crowley etc etc.(
    It is interesting to note that Empedocles (circa 475 bce) taught the concept of a fifth element of spirit in addition to earth, air, fire and water (which he depicted on a pentagram image).

The earliest known pentagram ring appeared in Crotona Italy around 525 bce, and reportedly belonged to a mystical sect of Pythagoreans in southern Italy. Each point of the five points of the pentagram was associated with an element (Imagini degli dei Antichi, by V. Catari, 1647). It is also interesting to note that Gerald's Gardner's "New Forest Coven" has been referred to as the Crotona Fellowship.

As far as an association of the pentagram with Witches, it appears in various woodcuts during the Renaissance period.

Best regards - Raven

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeo
    you probably aren't going to get an answer on that, considering that the original post is three years old.
    is she no longer here(on the boards)?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast