For this spread, I asked the guidance of Urd, Verdandi, and Skuld in drawing nine stones in the format defined as Thor's Hammer. The runes as they appeared and possible interpretations are presented here for your review.

1. What mask do I show the world? Fehu
2. What fears lie within me? Sowilo
3. What am I seeking? Wunjo
4. How do I best approach this task? Laguz
5. What do I hope to become? Mannaz
6. What is stopping me? Ansuz
7. What is my destiny? Raidho
8. What must I learn in order to find my self? Uruz
9. What is my true self? Elhaz

This is the second time I have sat with the Norns and drawn the Fehu stone as the lead element. In my earlier reading, I interpreted the Fehu as power related to my work. I will continue with this theme and intepret Fehu as indicating a mask of confidence. power, and authority.

So what fears lie behind my mask of confidence? The Sisters show me the stone Sowilo next. Sowilo is the rune of goals and guidance. Most often the guidance that must be found to achieve progress, even if drawn from within. Reflecting on this stone in relation to Fehu in the first position, I interpret the cast as telling me I have fears of missed opportunities and vague goals though as I put forth an air of confidence in my skills or decisions.

Wunjo in response to the question "What am I seeking?" seems natural, for Wunjo is the rune of joy and well-being. Any person when asked about their goals in life is likely to include a reference to happiness and health. Even a "pursuit of happiness" clause appears in a historic document.

"How do I approach this task?" is answered by Laguz, the rune of water. All three rune poems -- Old English, Old Icelandic, and Anglo-Saxon -- contain references to water in discussing Laguz. Water is that which nourishes and cleans to restore vitality. From this I read that I must refresh my inner life to address my goal of happiness and well-being. To reach my goal I must be willing to clean away.

The Norns then provided Mannaz when asked what it is that I hope to become. If I am successful in my cleansing and can overcome my fears, Mannaz is my preferred destination. Mannaz represents the outward extension of man to others. It can be our wisdom, wit, and good deeds that we share with others. The Old English Rune Poem for Mannaz tells us that man in his mirth is dear to his kinsmen. So, it would seem that I hope to become a source of value to those around me through my outward display of wisdom or work, perhaps amusement.

But of course, I have not reached my goal so we must ask what is stopping my progress. For an answer, the rune Ansuz was given. The rune of the mind, self-awareness, and wisdom across many realms. This is also the rune associated with Othinn, the god of secret knowledge, wisdom and poetry. So I am held back my a lack of learning and wisdom. Perhaps my mental training needs strengthening or my relationship with the Alfadr should be addressed.

We have addressed what I hope to become (Mannaz) and what I am seeking (Wunjo), now we come to asking the Sisters to examine the great web of wyrd to reveal my destiny. Raidho is the rune of reason, the right way, and rationality. Certainly a positive response and not a destiny to fear on the surface. This may indicate that my destiny is to follow the right path, to adopt reason and apply rationality to my choices in life.

Uruz is the rune of strength and vitality as it represents the now extinct Aurochs, an impressive beast of the moors with feared horns. If this is the lesson I must learn in order to find my true self, then I feel it may be focused on health and physical fitness. To live long, be a joy to my family, to assist others, I need to focus on keeping myself able and strong.

Finally, what is my true self? Apparently, I am Elhaz. Elhaz is associated with protective beings such as Guardian Spirits, Valkyrie and Heimdall. Perhaps also reflecting communication with a higher self and the dangers associated with such communication. With the guidance of Uruz as a key to finding my true self, I am inclined to see Elhaz as noting my true self as a protector of the tribe role acting as a guardian and possibly warning others that may take a worrisome path in life.

Personally, I found this spread cumbersome and horribly awkward. The sheer number of runes to be drawn consumes a great deal of time and energy from the runecaster. In addition the questions do not feel focused. It feels somehow thrown together. We jump from discussing masks we present outward to what we hope to become, to destiny, to true self. Just too much. I am sure many others have had good response with this spread or it would not be part of the class and literature on runecasting. So I am thankful for the knowledge but doubt if I will add this to my personal rune practice.