Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crone Goddesses

is offline Don't call down the Thunder
    The bones fit with Black Anna/Annis in the description of her from my tradition. That was immediately who I thought of.

I'm ordering your Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge from amazon. Sounds like a great book and a very useful resource based on the reviews.

Elise
    *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
    The Mysteries aren't secret.
    They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
    There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Baba Yaga

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat
    A favorite crone goddess? who and why?
    Some idea of what they might offer to people in the 21st century?
    What would you like to talk to a Crone Goddess about?
    Sometimes I call her 'Baba Yoda' because she reminds me that the Force is still with you even when you're old...and it's not a good idea to mess with her!

In today's electronic-freeze-dried-push-button-instant-everything world, she offers things many people need: Common sense, respect for elders, simple cause-and-effect lessons.

I wouldn't talk to her -- I would just listen to what she has to tell
    me!

I'm afraid that age -- years lived -- just gets you old. To become an elder -- wise -- you must make friends with Oden's companions, the Ravens thought and memory.
    Blessings

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road
    http://greycat.cc
    http://deepeningwitchcraft.com
    http://greycat.cc/ceremonies/

I found this:

"among Siberian peoples, a common picture of a bone-carved doll in rags in a small cabin on top of a tree stump fits a common description of Baba Yaga, who barely fits her cabin: legs in one corner, head in another one, her nose grown into the ceiling.

This very specific kind of dwelling provides a reasonable hypothesis about the time frame when Baba Yaga entered Slavic Pantheon: it would be the time of the initial incursions of Slavs into the habitat of Uralic peoples and initial rumors about "chicken-legged huts".

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

See what you think....

I suppose there is a lot of supposing with things like this.

Couldn't resist adding some pictures (artist!):

Also see the 5th picture on http://grotesmurf.madscience.nl/music/baba.htm if you love the pictures for this topic.
    Last edited by sari0009; July 29th, 2005 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat

A favorite crone goddess? who and why?
    Some idea of what they might offer to people in the 21st century?
    What would you like to talk to a Crone Goddess about?
    A book on crone goddesses would be the perfect opportunity to get to know them even better and perhaps explore that which I didn't know or fully appreciate before. Favorites are hard to pick (for me anyway).

Sometimes going back...back....back to the various origins and versions of goddesses (over times and through cultures/sources) actually uncovers what is so incredibly applicable today. That is a lesson I found to be repeatedly true for me because it allows me to better tell what came from societal perceptions, needs, and influences of times past and what is timeless and sometimes even universal.

What to talk to one about? Changes. Changes over lifetimes and changes over eras. Perspective changes and how we arrive (proactive or reactive, and so on) at them is a big part of that, of course!
    Last edited by sari0009; July 30th, 2005 at 12:51 AM.

Fascinating!

[QUOTE=sari0009]I found this:

"among Siberian peoples, a common picture of a bone-carved doll in rags in a small cabin on top of a tree stump fits a common description of Baba Yaga, who barely fits her cabin: legs in one corner, head in another one, her nose grown into the ceiling.

This very specific kind of dwelling provides a reasonable hypothesis about the time frame when Baba Yaga entered Slavic Pantheon: it would be the time of the initial incursions of Slavs into the habitat of Uralic peoples and initial rumors about "chicken-legged huts".

QUOTE]

Good work! I go through mountains of research for my short stories, not just for accurate historical reference but because learning all this esoteric lore is addicting!!

Perk! :D You write short stories? Are you published? They are Pagan, historical, both and/or other?

Why, yes, actually...

Quote Originally Posted by sari0009
    Perk! :D You write short stories? Are you published? They are Pagan, historical, both and/or other?
    I have a book out, published in late 2003 - short stories centering on dragons. Some are new versions of old myths, some are based on actual events/people, and some are my original creations. Drop on down and visit me in the Authors Circle - Candy Taylor Tutt.

Now getting back to the Goddess Topic: I've been doing some digging on Dragon Goddesses, based on my theory that dragons did indeed exist thousands of years ago. One important factor emerging is that they are all in the East (Sumeria, China, Japan). Western civilization IMO lost its regard for dragons when it assumed the mantle of Xtianity.

The Morrigan is my favorite, she has taught me more than I could ever put into words. She has taught me to be strong and help me rebuild my life (by getting over things and creating a new healthy well balanced life).

One thing I think may be interesting to note in a book such as your would be that the crone goddesses can fix into your life at any stage. Iím 21 and are only really drawn to crone goddesses and their teachings.

~*Thank You WynnJera, For The Beautiful Banner!*~
    "To wherever it may lead."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2