33 24.44%
  • No but I wish they did

59 43.70%
  • No..mythilogical creatures don't exist

25 18.52%
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorns?

Question Unicorns?

Do they exist? Ive always wanted to think so since I was a little girl..but have never found any evidence...what do you think?

What do you mean by exist?

Dove

New to Wicca? Start Here!

"I sometimes find the excessive amount of "fluff-bunny" paganism on the 'net to be annoying, but the 'stinking-badgers" on the other end of the spectrum are just as unrepresentative." -I. Bonewits

MoringDove's Web Sitel Morning Dove's Live Journal My Pagan Quizes

:hearthearHave a Blessed Day!:hearthear

is offline i would eat his heart in the marketplace
    I think perhaps they may have existed once, but became extinct, or some other animal was mistaken for them.

If you're interested, I'd recommend "The Truth About Unicorns", by James Cross Giblin, which has the history of unicorns and unicorn like creatures all the way from ancient Greece and Rome.

I was a big unicorn fan myself when I was younger
    Last edited by John_Mischief; April 7th, 2005 at 11:22 PM.

I didn't vote because you didn't have an other
    but if unicorns exsist i have a feeling there closer to kirin then your typical unicorn image

Quote Originally Posted by bumpinthenight
    Do they exist? Ive always wanted to think so since I was a little girl..but have never found any evidence...what do you think?
    Well the bible says there are in the old testament somewhere,I could find it if ya want,,,,,Some people say it means another animal,but it says unicorn,.so,I say yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and guess what,,,,,,,,,,I read in the bible that there are horses in heaven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I get there I hope the Lord gives me a blue one with a green horn like a unicorn,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well,thats what i say.

Quote Originally Posted by azzeenasman
    Well the bible says there are in the old testament somewhere,I could find it if ya want,,,,,Some people say it means another animal,but it says unicorn,.so,I say yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and guess what,,,,,,,,,,I read in the bible that there are horses in heaven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I get there I hope the Lord gives me a blue one with a green horn like a unicorn,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well,thats what i say.
    It's in Deut. 33:17 of the King James version. It's describing Joseph, saying his horns are like the horns of unicorns.

It's only the King James vs. AFAIK, and probably just a metaphor drawing on the folklore of the time period. Not really saying they exist, just useing their imagery.
    Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we will come ot the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world.
    -Joseph Campbell

Seems awful strange that the unicorn is mentioned, and only in 'imagery'.
    How can you use 'imagery' if there's no such thing?
    But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil Psalms 92:10 (KJV)

God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn. Numbers 23:22 (KJV)

As I was watching, a male goat appeared from the west, coming across the face of the whole earth without touching the ground. The goat had a horn between its eyes.
    Daniel 8:5 (New Revised Standard Version)

Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Job 39:9-10 (KJV)

No Regrets!
    Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
    "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
    ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
    Welcome to my World!
    Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

I said no, but I wish they existed. I've read that the rhinocerous may have sparked the myth about unicorns, but I prefer to think that once they did exist and are now extinct, similar to dragons. I don't really want to over-analyze it and take all the magic out of life.

I didn't vote, because I wanted to say:

Yes, but I have no proof. I just believe.

That option wasn't theree
    "I'm a foodaholic and I'm on the road to recovery."
    "You can't really love anyone who never makes you laugh."

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet. Beloved of Satet and Amun-Ra

I offer reasonable priced readings, please take a look here AND on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ~*FloraCove*~
    Seems awful strange that the unicorn is mentioned, and only in 'imagery'.
    How can you use 'imagery' if there's no such thing?
    Because they had been written about by the Greeks and were a big part of Middle Ages folklore? Kind of like poets nowadays using mythology, folklore and even pop culture in their poetry...it doesn't mean they existed, just that they are something people would know about and associate certain traits with and is ingrained in the psyche.

All of those you listed from the King James Version are not actually talking about unicorns as creatures, just relating other things back to them. Since pretty much everyone would have known what they were, and associated strength, honor, purity, ect. with them, it makes sense they would have been used.

As for:

As I was watching, a male goat appeared from the west, coming across the face of the whole earth without touching the ground. The goat had a horn between its eyes.
    I don't know anything about that particular translation of the bible, or the context this is in; however it does go along with my theory of people seeing one creature and thinking it was a unicorn. It is specifically called a goat, and it is possible it could have only been seen from one side, or that it had some sort of birth defect that caused the horns to grow together. Or that it had simply just been made up as part of a story *shrug*
    Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we will come ot the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world.
    -Joseph Campbell

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast