• Yes..haven't seen one but I have proof

33 24.44%
  • No but I wish they did

59 43.70%
  • No..mythilogical creatures don't exist

25 18.52%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorns?

I don't believe in unicorns though there is a theory that unicorns of mythology are actually goats whose horns were altered to grow together. Magot Alder's Drawing Down the Moon features Oberon and Morningglory Zell RavenHeart and their flock of goats and they did a minor surgury on some of their kids' horn buds to turn them in "unicorns".

I believe they exist....

I haven't seen one....

and I don't have proof.
    It's up to you now if you sink or swim
    Just keep the faith and your ship will come in
    It's not so bad

Hey hey hey it's just an ordianary day
    And it's all your state of mind
    At the end of the day
    You just have to say
    it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

they exist in our hearts
    "Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes."
    ~ Tori Amos

Actually unicorn means 'having one horn'. There have been cases of animals who's horns have grown together in a genetic defect and/or mutation. This of course is not like the mystical unicorn but the deformity in animals, though rare, could of been the bases for the myth.

As for the mystical unicorn...who knows for sure? Perhaps it was a spiritual creature or just a creature from another realm that has occasionally shown itself to a few.

Anything is possible, even if not probable!! Just a thought!

I say yes..without proof.

Also the material many horns are formed from decays easier than bone so fossils may not be possible. Also some horns are edible to animals like mice. Some animals that shed their horns annually have a horn that mice and other rodents eat and gnaw into dust!!
    Last edited by Shanti; April 8th, 2005 at 12:47 PM.

Several real life unicorns have been crafted. It is commonly known as the "Living Unicorn Project", by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart.

His unicorn was featured in the Barnum & Bailey Circus. It looked like a goat with a fake horn attached. In fact, as radiography and x-rays proved, it was a real, growing horn which was crafted by transplanting the real horn buds from their normal position to one in the center of the forehead.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

Well unicorns are mentioned in ancient times (Sumerian & Babylonian traditions for instance) though it seemed they looked different to modern day versions. They were said to have a white body, a red mane, blue eyes and a single horn. The horn was white, black and red

Pliny describes them as having a horses body, a stag's head, feat of an elephant and tail of a boar

It does seem that vistors to India area do report seeing them or hearing them spoken about as though they were as common as elephants up to 1500s

John Williamson research into unicorns is fascinating if you're interested and of course the French tapestries which tell the story of the unicorn -the last frame being the unicorn captive and unable to roam the physical world

In 1994 an alleged horn from an unicorn was sold at auction in London for a few thousands - it was carved with jesters, dragons and green men (though its doubtful it was from a real unicorn)

And in the 16th century the English crown jewels were suppose to include unicorn horn

A cup "made from unicorn" horn (with gold and diamonds in it) was said to have been inherited from Queen Elizabeth I by King James I who then gave it as a gift to the Duke of Brittany

If you look at the history of European royals a lot of them claim to own Unicorn horns (or did in the 16th century)

There is still a "unicorn horn" in a catherdral at St Denis France

So my take it this - clearly something out there triggered the rumours, I hope it was a real unicorn but I have an open mind. Would be interesting to have some proper research into the "unicorn horns" that do exist to see if even just one of them could be from a unicorn

Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?
    They exist in my world! I saw one just this morning!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline i would eat his heart in the marketplace
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulHealer
    So my take it this - clearly something out there triggered the rumours, I hope it was a real unicorn but I have an open mind. Would be interesting to have some proper research into the "unicorn horns" that do exist to see if even just one of them could be from a unicorn
    They could have been narwhal horns, I think. Sea Unicorns, they were called.
    Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we will come ot the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world.
    -Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by John_Mischief
    They could have been narwhal horns, I think. Sea Unicorns, they were called.
    I have heard that before -but still since someone out there was prepared to pay thousands (more than I would have done even if I had that sort of money) would be nice to know what he bought

yes they exist, and any one here can think I am crazy if they want to. I have seen them. I know a little girl right now who talks to them. Everything exists it just depends on what you are willing to see.

How do you feel

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast