Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure if this goes here Mythology question?

Question I'm not sure if this goes here Mythology question?

I have a question on the mythology of cows. I know one place considers them sacred but I forget where if anyone knows the answer to that could you tell me. And next does anyone know of a mythical creature part human part cow, like body of a cow, head human anything like that?

Any information would help Thank You................

http://mailartinternational.forumco.com/default.asp
    I trade so much my address is "The Post Office"
    I enjoy trading atc's, collage pages, traveling journals, matchbox fills, pen pal letters, postcards and much more.............

Cows in mythology

http://www.geocities.com/abecedarius/Cows.html

I did a quick search about cows and mythology, pulled up quite a bit, kind of a strange site this one was but this is what i found on the site.

Cows and bulls have been part of MYTHOLOGY since the beginning of time. The cow usually represented the moon and the bull the sun. A cow was the symbol of Isis the nature goddess of Ancient Egypt. In Ancient Crete the bull was held in high esteem. The Druids used bulls for religious purposes in Ancient England. The Ankole-Watusi can be traced back 6,000 years and are known as the “Cattle of Kings”. The Brown Swiss is also one of the oldest cows in the world and may be related to a breed that existed in the Bronze Age. Festival of Cows is held in north India.

Hope this helps you some.

Thank you CloakofStars for my beautiful banner!

Thank you so much for my blinkie sapphire vampire!!!

~Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly~

Artwork (c) Jessica Galbreth
    http://www.enchanted-art.com/

[QUOTE=angelbaby]http://www.geocities.com/abecedarius/Cows.html

I did a quick search about cows and mythology, pulled up quite a bit, kind of a strange site this one was but this is what i found on the site.

Cows and bulls have been part of MYTHOLOGY since the beginning of time. The cow usually represented the moon and the bull the sun. A cow was the symbol of Isis the nature goddess of Ancient Egypt.

Thank You for getting back to me so quickly. I was just doing a search myself and found something in mythology on cows it didn't give me all the information though and I'm hoping to find a picture of what the creature looked like. Audumla

ice. She lived off the Niflheim ice, licking pieces of salt and hoar frost as the ice melted upon contact with the hot air from Muspell. The frost giant Ymir lived off of her milk.
    While licking the ice, Audumla revealed the shape of a man underneath; she eventually licked him free. This was the god Buri, who later fathered Bor, father of Odin, Vili and Ve. That's all I got so now I need to do further search for this and yours.

I had a strange dream about this creature last night and it woke me thinking I need to remember it and find out it's meaning. I dreampt I turned into this creature.......I would fall back off to sleep and dream it again and again so there's some kind of meaning hear Symbolical I know because I'm breast feeding my daughter who's 5 months but there has a feel for a more important meaning to the dream so I wanted to find out if such a creature exsisted I knew of cows being sacred in one country. But your information helps too.
    Unfortunate for me I feel a pull in two directions today I have to be somewhere of importance yet I feel a need to research this just as important. But I'll come back in later today and see what's added here. Thank you for your help anything else you can think of will be a great help..........

Autumn Clair

http://mailartinternational.forumco.com/default.asp
    I trade so much my address is "The Post Office"
    I enjoy trading atc's, collage pages, traveling journals, matchbox fills, pen pal letters, postcards and much more.............

is offline i would eat his heart in the marketplace
    In ireland, cows are (or were, at least) considered representations of feminine beauty. They are also associate with Bridget.

I can't find anything about part cow-part humans, however if you google it you find a lot of sites about scientists trying to make hybrid cow people.
    Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we will come ot the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world.
    -Joseph Campbell

In greek mythology Zeus would often take the form of a cow when he was off of Olympus (however most of the time on Earth he would procede in cheating on his wife)
    "rapidity is the essence of war" sun tzu

"peechy keen" Death

Actually, in Ancient Egypt, cows were more the symbol of Hathor, however, when the Greeks appropriated Isis, they gave her more of Hathor's attributes. (I doubt Aset (Isis) was ever relegated to the position of "nature goddess," as She was much more than that, and not even really that, but I digress.)

Hathor (Het-Hert) was very much associated with fertility, art, dance, and motherhood. She had another aspect, however, in Sekhmet, the vengeful Eye of Ra.

There was also the Apis bull, not a cow, obviously, but still bovine, a sacred animal in the city of Memphis and a symbol of Ptah. When it died, it was buried at Saqqara and became aligned with Wesir (Osiris).

I believe it's hindu's who consider the cow sacred.
    Defender of Karmhalla
    Staunch opponent of the Karmarok.
    Weilder of THE MIGHTY KARMJOLLNIR
    Question Authority-odds are they don't know any better

And there is that Green Jello song about the sacred cow
    Defender of Karmhalla

Look at Ariyna 's avatar is that what your looking for?
    Defender of Karmhalla

Quote Originally Posted by orgtigger
    I believe it's hindu's who consider the cow sacred.
    Yeah, no hamburgers for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast