Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Folk Magic vs. Witchcraft whats your oppinion

Folk Magic vs. Witchcraft whats your oppinion

I have been really leaning towards Folk Magic more and more lately. And I was wondering what you guys thought of Folk Magic versus Witchcraft, the diffrences in your oppinion. Why do you like one over the other if you do?
    Divine Sanctum : a place of acceptance and tolerance without judgement...

I love folk magic because it's mostly more simple. Witchcraft, I do practice, but I believe folk magic is more like Druidic magic (which I LOVE). I don't really do one over the other though.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralMagick
    I love folk magic because it's mostly more simple. Witchcraft, I do practice, but I believe folk magic is more like Druidic magic (which I LOVE). I don't really do one over the other though.
    oh thanks for explainig that Astral, I was like what? LOL

well judging by what she said I think it depends on what you want to do and all, if you want a complex ritual then go with witchcraft, if you want to do somthing simple than do somthing with folk magick,

is there any particular reason if any, why you cant use both?
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I tend to think of folk magic as a practice, individual pieces, and witchcraft as being a worldview.... as argued elsewhere, something I'll settle for accepting the name of religion for. Witchcraft should imply something holistic, complete... be it Wicca or Traditional or something else. Folk magic can be more scattered. A practice.
    "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.

Quote Originally Posted by DRACOtheDRAGON
    oh thanks for explainig that Astral, I was like what? LOL

well judging by what she said I think it depends on what you want to do and all, if you want a complex ritual then go with witchcraft, if you want to do somthing simple than do somthing with folk magick,

is there any particular reason if any, why you cant use both?

Actually that statement is rather inaccurate. Witchcraft by definition is usually in large part folk magic itself, but rather than strictly being folk magic it can incorporate other elements. Regardless, the definition has long since been utilized throughout history as describing folk magic, but not always strictly folk magic.

To answer the original question, the only difference would be whether you incorporate other elements of ritual and magic into your craft as opposed to adhering solely to folk magic. I myself follow the former as I enjoy versatility and complexity, combined with simplicity.

I do not think you can compare and contrast the two and see a great deal of division except in rare or extreme cases to be honest. Wicca, which can incorporate witchcraft, can tend to border more on ceremonial rather than folk magic, which is probably where the confusion (if there is any present) in this lies. It's one of the reasons I always felt it witchcraft was not entirely the most appropriate label to use in conjunction with Wicca as you will often find much more ritualistic and ceremonial elements than folk magic ones. This of course could depend on how you define folk and ceremonial magic. Generally the two sets of definitions follow a pattern that folk magic is more simplistic and/or tackles more mundane goals and problems, while ceremonial magic is often more complex and/or engrosses the practioner in more transcendental aspects.

However, as I've said, Witchcraft can and does allow for more freedom in what you assimulate and practice than strictly adhering to folk or ceremonial magic alone, so I find the only true benefit in comparing the two to be eclecticism and greater variety.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ember
    I tend to think of folk magic as a practice, individual pieces, and witchcraft as being a worldview.... as argued elsewhere, something I'll settle for accepting the name of religion for. Witchcraft should imply something holistic, complete... be it Wicca or Traditional or something else. Folk magic can be more scattered. A practice.

You would not agree that Witchcraft is not a practice? I ask because I did not quite understand your sentence regarding accepting the name of a religion for.

If we look at Witchcraft as we do folk magic in that many cultures do not ascribe to the label of folk magic just as they do not ascribe to the label of Witchcraft, then both can very much be greatly scattered. Of course, the same is true of ceremonial magic. The labels can be restricting in targeting just where and how such practices and magical procedures truly take place, but that is merely a downfall of language I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ember
    Yeah thats what I have been feeling lately as I look into Folk Magic. It is less ritualistic and there is something about it that seems to draw me into it moreso than witchcraft. hmmmm its more earthy, that sounds dumb right but its the olny word that keeps popping into my head.
    Divine Sanctum : a place of acceptance and tolerance without judgement...

I agree with what Aidron said, although I'd take it one step further. To me, witchcraft and folk magick are really the same thing. The only difference is what label you choose to use.

Folk magick can be very spontaneous and simple or it can be complicated and very ritualistic. Just like witchcraft.

The word witch and witchcraft has had a negative connotation for such a long time in the general population (and still does in many parts of the world) that a lot of people who do things that are identical to witchcraft call what they are doing folk magick or something else less scary sounding just to try and put their own practices in a more positive light. The practices though are not really any different.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Why not just forget about quibbleful labels and practise whatever, can say: "This is me and this is who I am." ?

When someone asks me if I practise witchcraft, I answer, "Do you want me to?"...

I do what I believe, and I'm quite happy forgetting about what everyone else thinks about it, or what it should be called, so I just call it: Me & My way.

Rhys,
    Pagan to the bone.
    They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

dragenfly: Shakespeare has an 'e' at the end.
    They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast