Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Folk Magic vs. Witchcraft whats your oppinion

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia
    It sounds like just another attempt to say, "I'm more superior than you, because I practice Witchcraft, not just folk magic."
    People like to make themselves feel superior with labels. Just smile, nod and go about your business. It's insecurity that makes people try to make themselves appear to be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia
    Frankly, I think "folk magic" and "witchcraft" are two names for the same concept. Is there some special Witch College you go to, to make it different than mythos that "folk" pick up? Is herbology passed down through schools of science, or is it more something that people studdied on their own, found their own ideas about, and created their own mythos surrounding?
    no... no witch college. though there are some organized covens who teach their practices to novices. i personally study on my own, and yes i do find my own ideas and interpretations when i research the practices of pre-christian european cultures. and yes, i'm interested in herbeology, and i do realise that much of herbeology is owed to christian monks and nuns (hildegard von bingen for example). i never felt an urge to flee from herbeology just because it's in part christian. I do not make it a part of my spirituality, because i really don't have much of a healer in me anyway, but i still pursue my interest in it.
    in any case, i agree, i think the two terms have always described basically the same practices/actions, i just think that at some point in time it just became acceptable and respectable in some circles, to use the term "witch". the meaning of the word has undergone quite some change in the last couple of centuries. i think that people who refer to themselves as witches nowadays almost certainly wouldn't have used that term to describe themselves had they been alive around the time they are attempting to reconstruct. that doesn't, however, invalidate them in any way, because they are in fact using a correct term when speaking our modern language.

It sounds like just another attempt to say, "I'm more superior than you, because I practice Witchcraft, not just folk magic."
    i don't think that's true. i have a feeling, whenever i read comments like that, or someone complaining about "paganer than thou" pagans, that they are in fact the ones who feel inferiour for whatever reason, and that this is some attempt to explain or excuse the feeling of inferiority (is that a word?) to themselves and others. i think it's sad and it just damages everyones relationship to their fellow pagans. *shakes head*

Quote Originally Posted by mothwench
    wheneveri read comments like that, or someone complaining about "paganer than thou" pagans, that they are in fact the ones who feel inferiour for whatever reason, and that this is some attempt to explain or excuse the feeling of inferiority (is that a word?) to themselves and others. i think it's sad and it just damages everyones relationship to their fellow pagans. *shakes head*
    This can also be true. Be careful though, that you can tell the difference between the person who is confident about their beliefs and the person who is not, who becomes holier than thou in order to make up for their own insecurity and lack of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Heimdallr
    This can also be true. Be careful though, that you can tell the difference between the person who is confident about their beliefs and the person who is not, who becomes holier than thou in order to make up for their own insecurity and lack of faith.
    In my experience, the people who actually know their stuff don't have the "holier (or witchier) than thou" attitude.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach
    In my experience, the people who actually know their stuff don't have the "holier (or witchier) than thou" attitude.
    Well, I suppose it depends on how you define holier than thou. Some people get angry at you if you know more than they do.

there arent any differences because the two terms are nigh on synonymous. 'imo'. -5 points.

but to the more interesting point, the whole 'holier than thou' phenomenon...i really could care less. if theyre better, good for them. if im better, good for me. either way, diamonds arent forever.

disclaimer: whilst i am no longer in the business of offending people, if you're offended, eat me. i'll defend what ive said until i get bored with you

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach
    and that's just what I mean.

Ah, so, other than a personal connotation, has anyone got any real proof that "witchcraft" and "folk lore" are truly two seperate and distinct beings, easily identified one from the other?
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Why not just forget about quibbleful labels and practise whatever, can say: "This is me and this is who I am." ?

When someone asks me if I practise witchcraft, I answer, "Do you want me to?"...

I do what I believe, and I'm quite happy forgetting about what everyone else thinks about it, or what it should be called, so I just call it: Me & My way.
    You took the words right from my mind, friend

Quote Originally Posted by dragenfly View Post
    I have been really leaning towards Folk Magic more and more lately. And I was wondering what you guys thought of Folk Magic versus Witchcraft, the differences in your oppinion. Why do you like one over the other if you do?
    Both are very broad terms with a great deal of overlap. Witchcraft, used currently in Pagan contexts, is quite retroactive. It's used to refer to a plethora of folk magic practices throughout the centuries, usually fertility and ecstatic magic focusing on spirits, the elements, the hearth and home, and the land. But even Folk Magic is a broad, catch-all term for mystic practices considered folkish or common, rather than the ceremonial or "high" magic of clergy and cities. A dichotomy that may not have been all that big in Antiquity or even the Middle Ages.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4